Thanks to everyone who commented on the previous post describing making the terrain for La Haye Sainte at 1:3 scale as part of last year's Waterloo wargaming celebrations. While I'm on a roll I thought it would make sense to do something similar for our refight of the action round Hougoumont, which we played over 3 days in mid September 2015 at my house in the English Cotswolds, and which I will relate in due course.
But for now the terrain making.
To start off, here is a view of the finished terrain before it got spoiled by having 3000 little tin men trampling all over it. As you can see there are similarities to my LHS terrain, for obvious reasons, but this proved much more of a challenge and I'll be describing, among other things, ponds, vegetable plots and formal lawns and shrubbery!
| The whole context was necessary to allow for the big ranges of |
"off-field" artillery and the squares are each 2 feet giving our
12 feet x 8 feet playing area.
|Back to the original Waterloo 1 and 2 landscaped surface and putting polystyrene|
pieces just to fill up the biggest troughs as I'd need a fairly flat surface.
|Now adding all the cardboard, magazines etc, to get the levels according to the |
contours on the map. Higher ground was needed at the nearest (West) edge and the main
area sloped gently down to the South-east.
Once that was done it was time for the large pieces of paper and PVA glue to make a papier mache covering that would dry fairly hard.
At that point I needed to place Kevin's model buildings in situ and experiment with the exact placement of all those wall pieces he had painted.
|When the correct positions were decided I was able to mark the surrounding features|
in felt pen according to the map so work could begin on the landscaping surfaces.
Above and below: You will recognise much of this from parts of the LHS set-up. I was interested in preserving work already done on texture and colour where possible, but with the expectation of renovating and improving and blending in wherever appropriate.
At this point things were about to get messy so I removed the resin models and marked their positions. Where they had been I pasted the shapes with a thick "gunge" of acrylic paint, PVA and sand/fine sawdust. Over the entire remaining area of the enclosed farm/chateau and the walled formal garden I painted with a few mms deep layer of the same cream coloured silicone exterior wall coating that I used for the LHS farm base. It has 2mm grit suspended in it so dries with a texture resembling course gravel on a model of this scale.
|Some of the road strips reclaimed from LHS are being used and will be blended in later|
My photo record shows that I made a start on the pond by the North gate about now but I will show creation of that later so as not to interrupt the flow.........on with the fields.
Putting back the resin models brought it to life. Here I have practically finished the fields and stained the new gunge roads to match the old ones. There is still a long way to go and I will cover very shortly the ponds, crops and formal garden.
|The photo on the table is from the Hovels website showing the stimulating photo that started us off in 2013|