|Foreground figures by Victrix, painting, photo and digital effects by CG|
|This sequence shows the battalion in column of companies. The|
typical formation for Allied battalions waiting behind the Mont St Jean crest
|In this view from above you can see that I have spaced them by eye and |
not by measuring the length of companies to leave space for the next
My approach was not just the same colour across all 188 but break that down into the same component with the same sized brush. So, for example, 188 black shakos and hats with a wide brush, 188 back packs (less a few not wearing them) with the same brush, all the black cartridge boxes with a slightly smaller brush, then 376 cuffs and later 376 coat turnbacks. All the black straps supporting the back packs and rolled greatcoats with a thin brush, followed by the bayonet scabbards with the same one.....and so on
|These three photos show the final line formation with one company as skirmishers|
|In this formation the line is about 38 inches long|
After the first blog about the Luneburg battalion I was going with Kevin to Waterloo and knew I'd come back fired with enthusiasm, so fully expected to get stuck in during June. But when I came back I got drawn into banter on the AMG Forum about Windmill models and got commissioned to build some. So with the fine weather making good drying conditions I deferred my Luneburg duty. But I made real progress during July and August and tried to set myself at least an hour a day, often that first hour after breakfast when I was fresh and not tempted to divert to other things. Some days I had the time to do a couple of hours at a stretch.
|Just for fun here is the whole battalion in two deep line|
(foreground figures by Essex Miniatures)
|It is about 54 inches long!|
|Here is the battalion in line 4 figures deep. The standard formation for British line units at Waterloo|
|When you go through this exercise you can realise why 4 ranks was favoured |
by Wellington on the restricted battlefield frontage at Mont St Jean
|This is about 27 inches long, which at our 1:3 game scale is approximately 80 metres. |
The frontage is about 45 or so figures (approx 135 men) and by my reckoning
135 men shoulder to shoulder is 270 feet or about 80 metres.
But then I hit "the wall".
There must be something about the paint that keeps you going for I didn't seriously falter until I was applying the transfers. I have explained about making your own transfers in previous posts, and I suppose I'm mad but I have designed some very tiny components. In this case it was the Hanoverian white horse symbol for their back packs and shako plates. The shako plates are only a couple of millimetres square and it was tedious in the extreme to cut them out with a sharp craft knife, put them in the water dish 10 at a time and then place each one carefully with a wet paint brush. I did A, B and C, .....got to stick at it ....see that light at the end of the tunnel....keep going Gregg....you can make it!
|I thought Waterloo fans might like to see the 188 in two rank square.|
|Posssibly a bit difficult to reconcile with the scale ground area that should be |
taken up but it looks good and is practical for a four company battalion
But I didn't.......
I had got a batch of insulating polystrene out of the skip (dumpster) at our renovated house, and the Duchess and I were at B&Q DIY store so I bought wooden battens for my 600 mm MDF terrain tiles....and the weather was glorious....and I was reading one of my Stalingrad books...and the Duchess said I MUST use the polystyrene before we move house. So, four 1:144 scale Stalingrad terrain tiles later and D company shako plates finally got applied ....phew!! After that the slightly larger back pack badges were easier.
|A three rank square is rather more satisfying to the eye but takes a bit more organising to get balanced|
Finally it was just basing and final varnishing and adapting the rather nice Victrix flags and my big battalion was actually finished - and "all in one go".